Friday 22 July 2016

Loving Breakfast


The breakfast I ate as a child now horrifies me: white bread, or worse still nothing at all. Not for want of trying on the part of my mother but I was definitely stubborn and I have no idea how I got through the day. Now, if I don't eat within about half an hour of waking up I am nothing but grumpy, can barely function and feel pretty rubbish.


Now, I love pain au chocolat and croissants as much as the next person they don't do much to fill me up and being fuelled on sugar isn't the best start to the day. As such, I eat them occasionally, mostly at weekends, warm from the oven accompanied by lots of orange juice. Healthy eating is great, a balanced combination and being happy with what you put into your body is by far the most important thing.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so even when you're running out of the door, rushing to a meeting or feeling more than a little exhausted, its worth taking the time. For me, eating better breakfasts is a recent thing and has come from feeling rubbish by mid-morning if I haven't eaten something proper, as well as noticing just how much better my energy levels are when I do eat first thing. Prepping the night before has become my way of making sure I eat a good breakfast - from smoothies to granola or muesli and natural yoghurt. If there's a little more time I'll go for eggs - poached on rye bread with avocado or roasted tomatoes, boiled with soldiers or fried in coconut oil and served on think slices of sourdough as a weekend indulgence. Protein and the complex carbs in whole grain bread makes you feel full and keeps you going until lunchtime.

I like to try and think of breakfast as a pleasure rather than a necessity, and granted this is a lot easier at the weekends. When you think of it creatively, as you would supper, its likely that you'll enjoy your choice much more. I love going out for breakfast and will always choose something that I wouldn't usually make at home - smoked haddock, eggs florentine or a creative omelette. I'm trying to embrace this at home too (think Sunday mornings) and so far its going pretty well and keeping me full for hours.

I'm still juicing but prefer to juice rather than drink juice from a carton - I definitely believe that nothing helps a hangover more than orange juice from concentrate served over lots of ice though so that will probably never change! Week days consist of frozen berries, good Greek yoghurt, brazil nuts and oats and the weekends are a little more adventurous and most importantly, delicious!

What are your breakfast go to's?

No comments:

Post a Comment